From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lawrence Serewicz
Sent: 07 November 2013 10:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Methods for handling email search for SARs

I would suggest that e-discovery requirements may put you under more strain than the DPA requirements. If they go to court and require discovery, the courts are not going to be as kind as the ICO if they think the will of the court is being flouted. I am not aware of the Court saying "on the balance of probabilities you have probably given us all the relevant documents for this case." They tend to see things in black and white and you need to demonstrate that you have searched everywhere as appropriate and can explain, with a robust retention and destruction schedule, why documents do not exist or have been destroyed.

I know there was a discussion on this list a while back, in which someone, I think Jonathan, posted the relevant case, I believe involving Barclays (but not certain) or a major High Street bank concerning e-discovery. The reference to Mitchell seems to come into mind. The case involved someone who had a business account, they were overdrawn and they alleged the bank misadvised them, so the defendant's business became insolvent and the bank profited from the transaction.  He wanted all the records held by the bank for promotion discovery. The bank failed to provide relevant emails, as the client had some, and the court was not at all pleased.  They did not settle for "on the balance of probabilities".

I will search for the reference if no one else finds it.  The case resolved around an early CPR concerning e-discovery and what it meant to disclose documents.

I hope this helps put this in context.

Best,

Lawrence