I think that the problem is that a 'please can you remove me' in a public forum always sounds political, even when it is not. This is why a less public way of leaving would be very desirable.

Nicholas Oddy

________________________________

From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list on behalf of Peter Wood
Sent: Thu 21/11/2013 09:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Please can you remove me from your circulation list. Many thanks. EOM

This is a completely public jiscmail list. Anyone can read it. Hurray. Much of the point of having an open e-list is so that you can spread information without having to make everyone take part in the conversation, and to help people stay abreast of current developments.

Joining this list can be a very useful way for people to passively learn more about cycling and society. In fact, it might be the way someone chooses if they want to make any commitment to working in the overlap between academia, campaigning and industry. Is there really a problem with people silently watching, *learning* and leaving? Do people really need an elitist personal commitment to cycling and a certain level of knowledge before we let them learn more? Would we rather encourage everyone to talk even when they have nothing to say?

I don't care if someone doesn't understand how to auto subscribe. Those messages don't arrive that often. Snapping at people for it serves no positive purpose and just creates an unwelcoming impression.

Pete

Open University Geography