Please consult Abramsky (ed.) Sparking a Worldwide Energy Revolution for more on the complex politics of ownership and community control over wind and other renewables. This is a truly wonderful and encyclopedic source. As the farmers in Germany say, your own pigs don't stink.

 I also recommend various work by Martin Pasqualetti who has specialized in wind landscape issues. Martin J. Pasqualetti (2011): Opposing Wind Energy Landscapes: A Search for Common Cause, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 101:4, 907-917