***I’d love to have as much critical research as possible in these media sessions. So if anyone is doing media-related research from a critical perspective, please consider sending us your abstract for the AAG. Thanks! -Johnny***

Apologies for x-posting

Geographies of Media

Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting

2014 AAG Annual Meeting, Tampa, FL, April 8-12, 2014

Sponsored by:

Communication Geography Specialty Group

Aether: The Journal of Media Geography

We are seeking papers for several sessions that examine geographies of media, including cinema, television, music, art, advertising, the Internet, social media, newspapers and magazines, radio, video and animation etc. These sessions should include contributions to current issues surrounding these media, beginning with constructions of space & place, cultural, society, and identity.

We are hoping to present a wide range of both topic and context and seek participants interested in the geographical implications - social, political, cultural, and economic - that are often contained within the spaces and places of different forms of media. Media extend beyond their original form, so papers should also envision these geographies as part of a broader industrial and political complex in which culture is an economic commodity set within the broader frame of a global and postmodern era, and with the links between these realms and our daily lived experiences, from our cities to streets to living rooms to imaginations. These contexts invite inquiries into the production, distribution, exhibition, and consumption of all types of media and we encourage critical, methodological, pedagogical, and discursive contributions. We would also welcome inquiries from anyone wishing to assemble a special themed session or act as a discussant in a session.

If interested, contact Johnny Finn ([log in to unmask]) or Joseph Palis ([log in to unmask]) with title, abstract, and PIN as soon as possible.

--
John(ny) Finn, Ph.D.
Lecturer in Geography