*Posthuman Political Ecology*

Fourth Annual Dimensions of Political Ecology Conference on Nature/Society
Lexington, KY
February 27th – March 1st
www.politicalecology.org

Session Organizer:
Daniel Cockayne (University of Kentucky)

“How would we feel if it is by way of the inhuman that we come to feel, to
care, to respond?” - Karen Barad (2012:216)

In an era of increasingly integrated natural-social systems, advanced
bio/technological innovation and intense commodification of ecological
processes, there is growing consensus that political ecology scholarship
cannot unproblematically assert a distinctive or coherent category of “the
human” as a useful unit of analysis or investigation.

Jane Bennett's (2010) “vital materialism,” Rosi Braidotti's (2011, 2013)
figuration of the “posthuman” nomadic subject as a counter to the
Eurocentric Vitruvian man and Donna Haraway's (1991, 1997) cyborgs along
with their biotechnological companions, Oncomouse, FemaleMan and Dolly the
sheep attest to a commitment to a feminist ethics: the necessity to imagine
subjective positions beyond naïve humanist understandings. These authors
argue that such humanism so often (however inadvertently) reinforces a
negative understanding of difference *between *same-species humans, rather
than standing in simply as a distinction between humans and animals species.

Humanist positions fall too easily into an essentialist designation of the
human subject based on the standard akin to Deleuze and Guattari's (1987)
majority – white, male, urban dwelling, speaking a dominant language - upon
which all other humans come to be measured. Thus when humanism measures the
category of human against a Eurocentric standard of the white male, it
comes to manifest with racist, sexist and homophobic connotations. In
relation to this, we can see that humanist perspectives have contributed to
an arrogant privileging of a *specific kind of human subject*: certain,
selected bodily arrangement and orientations, making spatial allowances for
certain kinds of legitimated bodies, and designating which organizations of
matter themselves come to matter.

With respect to political ecology, responses to this scholarship have been
empirical, ethical and conceptual. Clearly, political ecology is well
placed on the empirical front, having since its inception enrolled a broad
understanding of phenomena which are not reduced to human explanation but
include a wide range of integrated physical, social, economic and cultural
processes; dynamic natural/social systems; and enrolling non-human, inert,
machinic and animals others into its explanation of phenomena. Conceptually
and ethically on the other hand, I suggest that there is room for further
engagement with posthuman ideas, imperatively forcing us to confront
subject positions which are at once more and less that the humanist ideal.

Thus, this session explores the growing attention being paid among
political ecology scholarship to the concept of the posthuman. With
posthuman points of view, questions regarding the commodification of
certain kinds of natures; the edible qualities of certain animals and
plants over others; and necropolitical regimes of what or who it is
appropriate to kill become easier to examine.

Possible topics might suggest answers (though should not be limited to) the
following questions:

   - How are posthuman bodies being altered, augmented and adapted to their
   environment by technological, social and ecological processes and
   encounters?
   - How do we understand the ways in which we place value on certain
   ecological, social and technical systems over others?
   - How might posthuman and animal points of view encourage us to *take
   care* or *take responsibility *for a planet which we co-habitate with
   others?
   - Can we include posthuman ideas in an activist frame?
   - How might we re-imagine co-habitation on the planet to include the
   diversity of other living and non-living material arrangements?
   - What do we do with concepts such as agency in a posthuman
   understanding?
   - How do posthuman perspectives influence our understanding of border
   politics?
   - By what mechanisms do certain things become edible, commodifiable, or
   killable?
   - How can we think about the posthuman as an ethical injunction to care
   for ecological others?
   - How can we engage with affect (as non-human becomings) in political
   ecology scholarship?

This session encourages a broad range of responses. It welcomes both
empirical and conceptual papers.

Abstracts of no more than 250 words should be submitted to
[log in to unmask] by December 2nd. Remember that you also need to
register and pay to attend at politicalecology.org.

--
Daniel Cockayne
PhD Student