Dear all, please see the email from Keith Hayward regarding Jock Young.

With best wishes

David

Professor David S. Wall
Head of the School of Applied Social Sciences
Durham University
32 Old Elvet
Durham
DH1 3HN
Email [log in to unmask]
Tel: 0191 334 6840 (direct)
Tel: 07876 397720 (mobile)
Tel: 0191 334 6839 (general office)

Dear Colleagues,

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of our dear friend and colleague, Jock Young. We have lost an immense figure who inspired a generation and will continue to inspire generations to come, not only in the world of critical criminology (and, of course, wider criminology) but the Common Study Programme in particular. Jock passed away peacefully on Saturday morning in Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital, New York City with his wife Jayne and oldest son Jesse holding his hands. Many of you may have known he was ill, but not the full extent of his condition. Jock had anaplastic thyroid cancer. He approached this awful disease with courage and humour and up until Wednesday, whilst in hospital, was still commenting on his student's essays and dissertations and working on his next book proposal. He meant so much to so many but his loss is beyond imaginable to his family who adored him so. He is survived by Jayne, his sons Jesse, Joseph and Fin and his step-daughter Anny.

Regards,
Professor Keith Hayward

Dr. Keith Hayward,
Professor of Criminology,
School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 2NF Kent, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1227 827300
Fax:+44 (0)1227 827005
Doctorate in global and cultural criminology: http://www.dcgc.eu/ Take a look at the website: www.culturalcriminology.org