   Bio i

-------- Original message --------
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: 11/06/2013  10:25 AM  (GMT-06:00)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] AW: [ccp4bb] uncertainites associated with intensities from twinned crystals

Dear Fulvio,
you cannot detwin perfectly twinned data with this formula. The term (1-2α) becomes zero, so you are dividing by zero. With good refinement programs (ShelX, Refmac), refinement is done against twinned data, which is better than to detwin the data with the formula you mention.

As I understand it, to get map coefficients, the calculated contribution of the twin domain (Fcalc’s) is substracted from Fobs (with the appropriate weighting factors), so what you see in coot is detwinned electron density. In practical terms, the only thing you have to do is to specify the TWIN keyword in Refmac.

Best regards,
Herman