Hi Tobias,

besides several advantages (cheaper hardware, cheaper glasses, in
general less headaches), the drawbacks of passive monitors are:
1) fine lines running across the screen that you will notice on a white
bachground if the viewing distance is not that big
2) reduced viewing angle because of the polarisation sheet placed in
front of the display
3) half the resolution in the vertical plane with stereo "on" that in
addition may cause problems with the menus of certain programs

For the combination "professional stereo", "afordable" and "linux" the
only sensible option (my humble opinion) is to buy a nvidia quadro card
(the k2000d) and the Asus VG278HR (not HE!) with build-in emitter and
one pair of nvidia glasses. This combination works under linux and
windows. The price of the monitor plus one pair of glasses is ±500EUR
and of the quadro k2000d card ±450EUR (both handle the dual link DVI-D
standard). This combination is still cheaper than having to buy a
professional card with a 3-pin stereo exit (nvidia k4000 @ >900EUR), a
good stereo monitor (±350EUR Asus VG278HE 144 Hz) and a seperate set of
glasses with IR-emitter (±130EUR). The stereo of the k2000d-VG278HR
combination is great (fantastic actually and much much better than a
good old CRT because of the resolution and brightness) as the monitor
drives the switching of the glasses... better than the latest 27 inch
AOC passive stereo monitor (280EUR) I recently bought and operate at home..

If you already own an older quadro card with a DVI-D exit, you only need
to buy the VG278HR. If you own an older quadro with a mini display port,
you must also buy a CLUB 3D active mini displayport-dual link dvi
adaptor 270 mhz (±115EUR; we own one and it works in contrast to cheaper
variants) to link-up the monitor as a DVI-I exit will not handle the
amount of data in true stereo mode, that is, 1080p @ 120Hz.

The k2000d (85% performance compared to older quadro 4000) is more than
fast enough and the nvidia driver support for the quadro card under
windows and linux is at a professional level, so no problems there.

- J. -

Am 21.11.13 11:49, schrieb Tobias Beck:
> Dear all,
>
> We are looking into ordering a stereo monitor. I am aware that this
> question comes up every so often on this BB (and I read the post by
> Alice), but maybe someone has any comments or recent experience with
> passive vs. active monitors?
>
> And: Which graphics card can you recommended? The monitor will be used
> with Linux and Windows, so support of the correspoding graphics card
> with both systems is required.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Tobias.
>
> --
>
> Dr. Tobias Beck
> ETH Zurich
> Laboratory of Organic Chemistry
> Wolfgang-Pauli-Str. 10, HCI F 322
> 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
> phone:   +41 44 632 68 65
> fax:        +41 44 632 14 86
> web: http://www.protein.ethz.ch/people/tobias

Dr.Jeroen R. Mesters
Deputy and Group Leader

Institute of Biochemistry, University of Lübeck
Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lübeck, Germany

phone: +49-451-5004065 (secretariate 5004061)
fax: +49-451-5004068

http://www.biochem.uni-luebeck.de <Http://www.biochem.uni-luebeck.de>
http://www.iobcr.org <Http://www.iobcr.org>

--
If you can look into the seeds of time and tell which grain will grow
and which will not, speak then to me who neither beg nor fear
(Shakespeare's Macbeth, Act I, Scene 3)
--
Disclaimer
* This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should
not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
and delete this e-mail from your system.
* E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not
message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. Please send us by fax
any message containing deadlines as incoming e-mails are not screened
for response deadlines.
* Employees of the Institute are expressly required not to make
defamatory statements and not to infringe or authorize any infringement
of copyright or any other legal right by email communications. Any such
communication is contrary to Institute policy and outside the scope of
the employment of the individual concerned. The Institute will not
accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the employee
responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other liability
arising. Employees who receive such an email must notify their
supervisor immediately.