Dear Martyn,

wwPDB staff regularly reviews and remediates PDB data and related dictionaries such as the Chemical Component Dictionary (CCD).

As part of our on-going remediation efforts, the chemical components in the archive are regularly reviewed to ensure the correctness and the completeness of the chemical representation. Such reviews show that in some cases, the author has failed to provide a complete description of the chemistry. To address any such errors, the definitions are corrected. The chemical name and formula are changed in the PDB file, but the coordinates are not changed.

In the case of entry 3CBS, issues were found with the chemical component definition for its ligand R12. The methyl group was not in the deposited coordinates and it was missing from the original definition. In addition, the bond order in one of the carbon-carbon bonds was incorrectly defined. The CCD definition for R12 was updated in 2011 to add the methyl group and to correct the bond order based on information in the primary citation. The coordinates for this PDB entry were not changed. Therefore, in accordance with wwPDB policy, the file was not obsoleted.

Sincerely,
Rachel Green

Rachel Kramer Green, Ph.D.

RCSB PDB