Dear Mark et al.,

In small molecule crystallography one always refines against ALL data up
to a specified resolution, usually 0.83A or better. Failure to do this
generates a category A CheckCIF alert! However one is expected to give
both the R-value for all data and a R-value for I < 2sigma(I). This is
actually quite useful, if the first of these is appreciably larger than
the second - say 10% and 3% - then the data must be weak.

Best wishes, George

--
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,