Why not do both?  General readers will appreciate the writer's intended
order and researchers will appreciate the true to original order.  A
quality web presentation of this material would do both and document why.

The ability to present a set of images in more than one order is a
required feature for your website.  It is not technically difficult,
just think how many shopping carts you can re-order according to price
and other criteria.

Sue Adams
Family Folk
Blog: http://familyfolklore.wordpress.com/