Both programs are alternatives to university curricula and traditional education. Both are run by leading industry professionals rather than academic leaders. Zipfian offers a 12-week program, the Data Science Apprenticeship (DSA, organized by us at DSC - Data Science Central) is a 6-month program.

Comparison:

Zipfian is far more expensive ($14,400), requires approval and is aimed at people with a data background (computer scientists, statisticians, software engineers etc.) It is offered as face-to-face lectures in San Francisco. It has (in my opinion) too much of traditional statistics.

DSA is an on-demand, DIY (do-it-yourself) program for self-learners, also aimed at professionals with a data background, focusing on

- New material (applied and less applied) designed for big data from the ground up. It contains both technical and non technical material, presented at a high level, with side notes for those interested in digging deeper in mathematics or computer science (these side notes can be skipped).

- A data science cheat sheet that summarizes all you need to know or learn in a few pages,

- Data sets (not small ones) and real life projects. Some of these data sets are extracted with a web crawler, by participants.

- Our 300 pages Wiley book to be published in March 2014 (right now, material is available for free as blog posts throughout DSC).

The DSA is entirely free, though in 2014 participants will have to purchase our book ($40 or so) and we will deliver a certificate, as well as reviewing projects done by students (for a fee).

Read more, including programs details, at http://bit.ly/HFYePB

SIGNOFF allstat