Dear Collective

One thing that has always bugged me about quantitation of PP by any system is whether you skim the peaks for a tangent or drop the delimiting lines to the baseline for quantification.

Because of the danger of losing consistency we tell our BMS staff to drop the lines to the baseline every time. The danger of using this approach is that you are wrongly classify polyconal protein as monoclonal.

However, I am aware that  at the PRU in London suggests that for small bands relative to poly G its better to skim and for large bands relative to poly G its better to baseline.

They also  applies an algorithm as follows

If Alb +IgG +15+paraprotein quantification by dropping to baseline > total protein, then skim the peak. But then again at the PRU in London, only a limited number of staff  do the interpretation, so its easier in that setting than a blood sciences dept where the staff are multitasking Chem, Haem and Immunology

BW John

Thank you for your co-operation.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/