Paraprotein studies

I have just had a rather odd conversation with a newly appointed haematologist who insists that every other Trust he has worked in has characterised paraproteins every time they are measured - i.e. repeating the immunofixation to confirm GAM kappa lambda etc.

We have always characterised it when first seen then just quantitated by densitometry on subsequent occasions. Is this not reasonable? Am I going mad? What do others do?

Mike

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/