By  happy coincidence, another jisc list has just announced the publication of a substantial volume of papers that can be read FOR FREE on the publisher's website:

 "A pdf of the book can be read for free on the website of the publisher, Sidestone Press (http://www.sidestone.com/books/barely-surviving-or-more-than-enough), where you can also order a hard-copy or e-book!"

Now that's a remarkably different approach to academic publishing, and all credit to Sidestone Press!

Terry

Terry O'Connor
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1904-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/