Those are two very good points, Vivian (and please, no apology is necessary for your English - far from it). On the second one, some journal and book publishers have slightly different copyright terms to others, but we should insist on the freedom to circulate work to colleagues regardless.
On the first point, yes, you are absolutely right. Back when I was journal editing, I had no reservations at all about sending off pdf copies of papers to colleagues in countries where subscription to the journal was likely to be out of reach. From the publishers point of view, that might have been compromising a potential customer, but in reality some institutions are never going to afford the inflated subscription charges for major journals, so there is some obligation on those of us with access to be supportive and generous in providing papers. Whether that will put us in difficulties with some publishers is another matter: it depends whether the big publishers really want to put themselves on the wrong side of a moral case.

Terry

Terry O'Connor
Professor of Archaeological Science
Department of Archaeology, University of York
Biology S Block, Heslington,
York YO10 5DD
+44-1904-328619
http://www.york.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/academic-staff/terry-oconnor/