There has been a  lot of interest in the  Hawaiian fish bone manual so here is a public link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13054500/Hawaii%20fish%20manual.pdf

It’s a 124 MB file. I’ll keep it there for a month at least, and probably longer

Mat

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Akshay Sarathi
Sent: Monday, 14 October 2013 4:55 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ZOOARCH] Guide to fish skeletons

Hello,

I am a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I am in my second year and I have decided on a zooarchaeological research path, with special focus on fish remains on the East African coast during the Pleistocene.

My question is: is there a comprehensive guide to fish skeletons, especially of the western Indian Ocean? I have thus far found and acquired:

1) Marine fish Osteology: A manual for archaeologists by D.Y. Cannon

2) Fishes (Cambridge manuals in archaeology) by Alwyne Wheeler.

3) Fishes: A field and laboratory manual on their structure, identification, and natural history by Gregor Cailliet.

What I am looking for would ideally be a thick book that illustrates the bones of different species from various angles. I have not been able to find something like this and I am having to cobble together a guide to fish skeletons of my own. While I don't mind creating my own guide, it is time consuming and frustrating at times.

Any aid I would receive in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Akshay Sarathi
Graduate Student

Department of Anthropology