Dear Lee

this is not something I've attempted to collect data on while working in Greece, but in all parts of the country livestock carcasses can be found where they dropped (or were killed by wolves and occasionally bears). Those that die while stalled are usually dumped in a convenient ravine beyond the village. Where infectious disease is not suspected, an ailing animal may be slaughtered for consumption before it drops. On one occasion I saw a shepherd throw a newly dead sheep to his sheepdogs - it apparently did not undermine their commitment to protecting the live ones! Despite the relative abundance of carrion in the landscape today, some elderly herders point out that the availability of fodder and vets has dramatically reduced mortality and that, in their youth, vultures were a common sight - which is no longer the case.

Paul