CALL FOR PAPERS

ESRC Seminar Series: Entrepreneurship in Homes and Neighbourhoods

Glasgow, Scottish Universities Insight Institute, 23rd and 24th January 2014

We invite papers for the ESRC seminar ‘Understanding connections between entrepreneurship, home and neighbourhoods’. This is the first in a series of seminars that aims to advance our knowledge of the role of homes and neighbourhoods for entrepreneurship and firm formation and to inform enterprise and housing policy and practice. In this seminar we seek to discuss interdisciplinary theoretical perspectives and international empirical findings to identify connections between entrepreneurship studies and housing/neighbourhood research, and areas for integrative research.

Papers will be invited that present theoretical considerations or empirical research on the importance of local embeddedness for entrepreneurship and business start-ups; social networks and the local neighbourhood context of entrepreneurs; home-based businesses and the rationale for homes as incubators; and neighbourhood effects on entrepreneurship.

We welcome papers from established researchers as well as PhD students and new researchers. We will award a limited number of PhD student travel grants. Award decisions will be made jointly by the organisers based on the quality of applications.

Confirmed Speakers include:

Nick Bailey (Urban Studies, University of Glasgow)
Prof William A. V. Clark (UCLA Department of Geography)
Dr Stefan Gärtner (Institute for Work and Technology, Ruhr University Bochum)
Prof Paul Hickman (Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University)
Prof Eleanor Shaw (Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, University of Strathclyde)
Dr Tim Vorley (University of Sheffield, Management School)
Prof Colin Williams (University of Sheffield, Management School)

Please submit a title and an abstract of your paper (max. 400 words) by the 18th Nov 2013 to Darja Reuschke ([log in to unmask]) or Colin Mason ([log in to unmask]). If you are interested in attending this seminar, please email Darja Reuschke or Colin Mason. Places are limited and participation is by invitation only.

The seminar series is funded by the Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC) and jointly organised by Dr Darja Reuschke (University of St Andrews), Prof Duncan Maclennan (University of St Andrews), Prof Colin Mason (University of Glasgow), Prof Stephen Syrett (Middlesex University) and Prof Maarten van Ham (Delft University of Technology). Please visit the seminar website for more information: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/homebusiness.

The first seminar in this series is kindly supported by the Scottish Universities Insight Institute (http://www.scottishinsight.ac.uk).