When I taught Philosophy of Sport at USF in the Fall semester of 2011, I used the following anthology:

McNamee, Mike; The Ethics of Sports: A Reader; paperback, 1st edition; Routledge, 2010; ISBN-13: 978-0415478618

It contains 2 papers that I think are relevant to your student's research interests - the 2nd paper, in particular, goes into great detail on the East German state sponsorship of doping:

"The athletes’ viewpoint” – Verner Møller (pp. 160-168)

“Sport and the systematic infliction of pain: a case study of state-sponsored mandatory doping in East Germany” – Giselher Spitzer (pp. 413-425)

Also, I'm not as certain about this, but I believe William Morgan's book might be helpful as well:

Leftist Theories of Sport: A Critique and Reconstruction – William Morgan

Also, through an abandoned project of my own, I am somewhat familiar with the following books that might be relevant:

A History of Drug Use in Sport 1876-1976 : Beyond Good and Evil By: Dimeo, Paul. London : Routledge. 2007. Database: eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)

London : Reaktion Books, 2006.

Sport, Health and Drugs : A Critical Sociological Perspective

Waddington, Ivan. London : E & FN Spon. 2000. eBook. Database: eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)

Dave