This is interesting to know. Our lab had received a copy of the Kawashima templates one and a half or maybe two years ago, at that time they didn't require co-authorship. As we didn't continue with animal fMRI I don't know when they changed their politics, maybe it was a consequence of people quitting the lab. But it is strange that they don't state anything related on their website http://www.idac.tohoku.ac.jp/bir/en/db/rb/ and it seems the T2 template can still be obtained without coauthorships.

What about the other workgroup, Nie et al. (2013, Human Brain Mapping)? Did you have any success?

Leaving this aside, do you really need priors for GM and WM? If you just want to use segmentation to normalise fMRI or PET data onto a template, then priors for CSF and brain tissue (or standard normalisation with a simple T2 template) might be sufficient. Rat brains are much less variable compared to e. g. human brains.