Hi Darren,
I could be wrong, but isn't it generally better to treat all scans equally (ie not use any of the information about the columns of the design matrix in which you're interested) if the intention is to make statistical inferences about it?  If a template is generated from some subjects (selected based on a categorical variable of interest), but not others, this would imply that the data are not all treated the same.

I would like to hear what do others who know a bit more about stats think about this, particularly in regards to approaches such as lesion masking for spatial normalisation.

All the best,
-John