Dear John,

Many thanks for this. The data was indeed acquired on a 1.5T scanner. I was provided with eight files from the fieldmap sequence, and was told that they were two "modulus" images (of different echo times), two "real" images, two "imaginary" images and the two phase images. I've attached a pdf of these four image types in order (just for one echo time each).

I was advised to use the two modulus images as the magnitude images. This is different to what I'm used to because I have previously always just had one magnitude and one phase image to work with. Is it possible that the modulus image is not the correct image to use for this (I've not heard of this type of file before)? I tried using the "real" images as the magnitude instead and the results look even more strange (in my novice opinion!). I've attached these as well.

Or is this a situation where skull stripping of the modulus image could help?

Many thanks again,
Antoinette