Update: I rotated the functional images about the y axis using rri_orient
(http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8797-tools-for-nifti-and-analyze-image)
Doing so, the nii file header shows the rotated files to have the dimensions:
4    64    64    40   121     1     1     1

The original files had dimensions:
4    40    64    64   121     1     1     1

Unfortunately, this did not seem to solve my problem, though I am in the process of determining how an intervening step (expanding the 4D volumes into multiple 3D volumes) undid the rotation, as the expanded files have the dimensions
3    40    64    64     1     1     1     1

In any case, simply rotating the 4D files is not a quick fix.