Oh, I do like where this is going Jen! Taking records management into the 'knowledge' domain.

You know I used to get all wound up and fuming on discussion forums about the word 'knowledge' being used as a synonym for 'information' or indeed 'records'. The charming Stephen Bounds (cough, an Australian, splutter*) managed to convince me, however, that a 'knowledge' system might be one that, through perhaps social media techniques, was able to collectively and incrementally improve on the information in a system one might normally be called an information or records management system.

So when your local library catalogue allows you to comment on and rate the books you've read it improves our collective 'knowledge' to a degree, for instance. Hmmmm... I'm still struggling but certainly see the reasoning there.

Putting this into practice however, how do we drive the behaviour of our records management systems to not just preserve and dispose of evidence but also put our organisations into a strategically dominant position based on the value that evidence provides? There is rich potential for records managers to sell their role there.

And don't worry, I still get wound up when people push 'knowledge' as a capability without any understanding of information or records management 8^)

Adam Pope
* I spent most of life in the infinitely more cultivated New Zealand