Hi Kevin

Apologies for the delay replying - I've been away / on leave for a little
while.

To introduce myself  - my name's Gill (pronounced Jill) Westhorp.  I did my
PhD in realist evaluation with Nick Tilley as my supervisor;  I've used
realist / realist-flavoured evaluation methods since 2002; and I was
involved with development of the RAMESES standards.    I teach both realist
evaluation and realist synthesis in workshop format; am contracted to
support/mark post-grad students work for one Australian Uni and am an
adjunct Assoc Prof at another  to develop staff capacity in RE; I'm
developing resource materials for another project, and I regularly
participate as the 'realist methodologist' in other people's projects.

I'm happy to provide support / advice - but there's nothing I know of to use
for benchmarking (NB - the RAMESES standards are useful for evaluation in so
far as the basic realist ideas are the same, but they're of course not
directly relevant to evaluation);

I don't know of anyone doing exactly what you're doing, but Brad Astbury has
certainly supported a number of students to use realist methods;

I'm not primarily an academic (I run my own consultancy business), and I
have supported many practitioners to use 'realist-flavoured' approaches over
the years.  I'm involved in one realist action research project at the
moment that is supporting community members to participate as
co-researchers.  So I think it's entirely appropriate to use realist
approaches with practitioners / support practitioners to use realist
methods, and I don't believe it belongs more in the academic realm.  The
trick is to keep the language simple while not giving up on the
sophistication of the ideas.

Happy to chat further if it would be worthwhile for you -
[log in to unmask] will find me.

Best wishes

Gill