For the APSA Annual Meeting 2014 in Washington D.C., the Organized Section on Qualitative Methods and Multi-Method Research invites submissions of paper and panel proposals. The proposals should cover qualitative methodology and methods, along with their relationship to and combination with other forms of research, including quantitative methods. The section follows a broad interpretation of qualitative methods grounded in different philosophies and ontologies such as neo-positivism, pragmatism and varieties of interpretivism.

On a methodological and epistemological level, the section seeks papers addressing how ontological commitments shape the technique that one applies in empirical research and the corresponding means for causal inference. With regard to the latter point, we are interested in papers employing different forms of designs (longitudinal, within-unit comparisons etc.) and forms of data collection and triangulation (archival research, interviews, discourse analysis, and ethnography). We also welcome papers, panels and roundtables that discuss the broader state of qualitative methods twenty years since the publication of King, Keohane and Verba's Designing Social Inquiry.

In the past, panels have engaged topics such as philosophy of science, set theory and Qualitative Comparative Analysis, process tracing, concept analysis and measurement, case selection, interpretivism, and field research. Papers submitted to the section may be either methodological or substantive.

We particularly welcome papers that provide important insights on the implications of the digital revolution for qualitative methods and research (the theme of the APSA 2014 meeting). Methodologically, we welcome papers that deal with topics such as the methodological benefits and challenges of using social media. Substantively, we equally embrace papers that use qualitative methods in an innovative way in order to shed light on the digital revolution. Potential topics include an ethnographic study of how social media is used during campaigns, or a qualitative analysis of the changes in power relations between the state, companies, and the state that is implied by big data.

Submission deadline is 15.12.2013. Submissions have to be made via the website of the APSA: www.apsanet.org.

For any questions you might have, please get in touch with the program chairs Derek Beach ([log in to unmask]) and Ingo Rohlfing ([log in to unmask]).

--
Prof. Ingo Rohlfing, PhD
Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS)