Y Touring Theatre Company<http://www.theatreofdebate.com/> is curating a weekend full of talks, debates, demonstrations and performances exploring the future of food through arts, science and technology as part of the Bloomsbury Festival<http://bloomsburyfestival.org.uk/> on Saturday the 19th and Sunday 20th of October.

All events are free. All take place at One KX<https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=One+KX&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=one+kx&cid=0,0,11521963887128468273&t=m&z=16&iwloc=A> unless otherwise stated.

SATURDAY 19TH OCTOBER

10am - 8.30pm: The People's Supermarket in the One KX café

The People's Supermarket, a local sustainable food cooperative, will be in residence in our café throughout the weekend of the Bloomsbury Festival. Come and relax in our café space, enjoy some delicious food or a cup of tea and cake.

11am-1pm: Sarah Daniels Writers Workshop

Sarah Daniels, (Gut Girls, Masterpieces) conducts a writers workshop for anyone interested in playwriting. Her plays have been performed the Royal Court, the National Theatre, the Battersea Arts Centre, the Crucible, and Chicken Shed. She has also written episodes of Grange Hill, EastEnders and Holby City.

11am-3pm (drop in anytime): Junk Food

An event for all the family: come and be creative and make a giant food feast out of the things we throw away. Let your imagination go wild and create a visionary feast to awaken all your senses!

11am-5pm (drop in anytime): 3D Printing
3D printing is the future of manufacturing - designing bespoke, fit for purpose items in a more efficient manner than traditional, reductive methods. NASA are sending them to the international space station to help make replacement parts, as well as food, homes have been built with them, and even arms companies are taking an interest.  Come and see a 3D printer in action, test it out, and have your questions answered by Leo Dearden, software engineer and head of the Southampton RepRap community.

12pm - 1pm and 2pm - 3pm: Meeting Mrs Marshall

London Canal Museum introduces Agnes B Marshall. Meet the Victorian ice cream expert, cookery writer, entrepreneur and teacher demonstrating her patent ice freezer from 1884 with some typical Victorian iced dishes. Come make and taste her original flavours.

2pm-3pm: In conversation with Tim Lang and guests

Tim Lang<http://www.city.ac.uk/arts-social-sciences/academic-staff-profiles/professor-tim-lang> is an author, the Professor of Food Policy at City University London and inventor of food miles. He's done ground-breaking work on food additives, obesity, diet and poverty, and - long before Jamie Oliver - was heckling government about school food.

3pm - 3.45pm: Cooking in the Garage

An Audience with Pipdish<http://www.pipsdish.co.uk/> founder Philip Dundas discussing starting up your own food business. Philip created PipsDish in 2011 as a no-menu supper club in his apartment, before moving to a Citroen Garage on Upper Street. PipsDish can now be found in both Covent Garden and Hoxton Square.

3.30pm - 5pm: Hungry by Sarah Daniels

An exclusive reading and discussion of Sarah Daniels' brand new play, supported by the Wellcome Trust, exploring our relationship with food. Reserve your free tickets here<http://bloomsburyfestival.org.uk/ai1ec_event/hungry/?instance_id=>.

4.30pm - 5pm: The Pig Idea with The Pig Idea with Charlotte Jarman

The Pig Idea was founded by food waste expert Tristram Stuart and chef Thomasina Miers.  A billion people go to bed hungry every night and food that could be fed to people is instead being used to fatten pigs. Food waste that could make excellent pig feed is instead being sent to landfill. Come hear how we can solve this problem. www.thepigidea.org<http://www.thepigidea.org/>

5.15pm - 7pm: Speed Debating

How will our food change in the future? Will we need to radically change crops to be able to feed the planet? Will our meat be synthetic, our cooking be molecular? Join us for an evening of speed debating, where you are at the centre of the conversation. Discuss with us scenarios around genetically modified crops, synthetic meat, food security and much more. [If the conversations make you hungry, drinks and snacks will be available - obviously.]

7pm - 8pm: Talking Brains

Why do we sound the way we do? What's in a voice? In Talking Brains impressionist and actor Duncan Wisbey and neuroscientist Sophie Scott<http://www.icn.ucl.ac.uk/Research-Groups/Speech-Communication-Group/group-members/MemberDetails.php?FirstName=Sophie&LastName=Scott> discuss the human voice, how it has evolved and how our brains control our voices. Sophie reveals some of the ways that Duncan's brain reflects his vocal expertise.

SUNDAY 20TH OCTOBER

10am - 5pm: The People's Supermarket in the One KX café

The People's Supermarket, a local sustainable food cooperative, will be in residence in our café throughout the weekend of the Bloomsbury Festival. Come and relax in our café space, enjoy some delicious food or a cup of tea and cake.

11am - 5pm (drop in anytime): 3-2-1-Ignition* by Ignite!

Want to learn some awesome science tricks, that will make you and your friends go WOW!? Come and say hello to the 3-2-1-Ignition* Science Buskers. We will show you some short experiments that go bong in all its resonant wonder, deceive your brain and that make you question 'how did that happen?'.

12pm -  1pm: Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock's Tour of the Universe

What if we were able to go on a "Tour of the Universe", and still be home in time for tea? Join Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock<http://www.tedxhousesofparliament.com/2013/speakers/maggie-aderin-pocock> on a mind-expanding journey through Space, and time which gives you a taste of amazing universe around us. The journey begins here on our home planet, Earth, we then travel through the solar system, out of our galaxy the Milky Way and beyond. As the children 'fly' past the celestial bodies, Maggie a working "rocket scientist", gives details on the objects observed and undertakes demonstrations with the audience. What it life like in space? What is on the space station menu and how do you go to the loo? Explore space in a whole new way.

1.30pm -  2.15pm: Jonathan McGowan: Living on a diet of roadkill

Jonathan McGowan, a taxidermist, talks about his diet of eating roadkill for over 30 years which includes mice, moles, hedgehogs, foxes, rats, squirrels and badgers. Meal time maverick or make do hero?

2.30pm - 3pm: The People's Supermarket
The People's Supermarket is a sustainable food cooperative that responds to the needs of the local community and provides healthy, local food at reasonable prices. Come learn more about how they operate, their history and the idea behind a food cooperative.

OTHER Y TOURING EVENTS AT THE BLOOMSBURY FESTIVAL

WEDNESDAY 16TH OCTOBER

6.30pm - 9pm: Stunted Trees and Broken Bridges
Award winning Y Touring theatre company present a film of a live performance of Ben Musgrave's Stunted Trees and Broken Bridges exploring crime and neurotechnology. Following the film there will be a discussion with Prof Steven Rose<http://www.stevenroseonline.net/SPRR/Welcome.html> and Dr Carolyn McGettigan<http://pure.rhul.ac.uk/portal/en/persons/carolyn-mcgettigan(2730c4ea-3a3c-4cb3-91f7-97730d6b2c9e).html> facilitated by TV presenter and neuroscientist Dr Jack Lewis<http://www.drjack.co.uk/>
There will be a reception, with an opportunity to meet the team, from 6.30pm with the screening starting at 7.30pm.
The venue: Warner Brothers screening cinema, Warner House, 98 Theobalds Road, London, WC1X 8WB
Tickets can be reserved here<http://bloomsburyfestival.org.uk/ai1ec_event/stunted-trees-and-broken-bridges/?instance_id=>

THURSDAY 17TH OCTOBER

7pm-8pm: Brainsex
Men read maps better, but women read emotions - so say brain scientists. Is the secret of human behaviour inside our skulls? Can neuroscience explain why Timandra throws like a girl but thinks like a bloke? Find out in Timandra Harkness's highly-praised solo show from this summer's Edinburgh Fringe. You'll never look at your anterior cingulate cortex the same way again. Or a map. Find out in Timandra Harkness's highly-praised solo show from this summer's Edinburgh Fringe.
Venue: One KX

SATURDAY 19TH & SUNDAY 20TH OCTOBER

10am-6pm: Food for Thought
An outdoor photographic exhibition produced by One KX and 22 young photographers. The show is their creative response to how we as human beings interact with food and its role in society. Capturing the thoughts, feelings, fantasies and fears young people have around what we eat and how it's produced.
Venue: Russell Square

Y Touring

Becky Turner
General Manager

+44 20 7520 3097
+44 843 22 11 546
Switchboard: +44 (0)845 832 0039
120 Cromer Street, London. WC1H 8BS

[http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/ymca_logo.png]<http://www.ymca.co.uk>     [http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/yustudio/line_2.jpg]         [http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/ytouring_logo.jpg] <http://www.ytouring.org.uk>
[http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/ytouring_fb_icon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/YTouring>          [http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/ytouring_youtube_icon.png] <http://www.youtube.com/ytouring>              [http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/ytouring_twitter_icon.png] <https://twitter.com/YTouring>

[http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/onekx_logo.jpg]<http://www.onekx.org.uk>
[http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/onekx_fb_icon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/ymcaonekx>            [http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/onekx_youtube_icon.png] <http://www.youtube.com/user/onekxfilms>          [http://www.ymca.co.uk/onetour-images/onekx_twitter_icon.png] <https://twitter.com/one_kx>

Registered Charity No. 213121.  YMCA® is a registered trade mark in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Activator® is a registered trade mark in respect of class 41 in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Central Young Men's Christian Association Ltd, a limited Company Registered in England No. 119249,  trading as Y-Touring, with registered offices: 112 Great Russell Street, London. WC1B 3NQ.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this mail in error please notify the sender and delete this email and any attachments.

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)
• Subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com