As someone active in an organisation that devotes considerable resources to defending and promoting copyright on behalf of its members, it galls me to see corporate bodies and individuals abusing copyright in this way. Oli is quite right, and I suspect that such copyright claims as he describes are unenforceable in Europe as well as the US.

I refer to corporations and individuals, as we often see the latter abusing copyright in this way. For example, I have recently come across local historians digitising antique photographs of historical interest, and publishing them on the interwebs along with grave warnings of what will befall those who infringe their supposed copyright in the images. Whilst it is entirely reasonable to expect acknowledgement and thanks for the time and effort put into the electronic archiving of out-of-copyright printed works, one cannot claim ownership of them. Creatively alter the images in some way, and there may be an argument based on artistic endeavour.

Francis