Sure, but they are not in the words of Ms Slick the pills that mother gives
you - though *they do quite a lot

Yr ps question is so broad I'd have to say yes

Unscrew the *doors* themselves from their *jambs* ! is a favourite of mine

But some of friends who are inclined to faith like to judge poetry by what
it says; and I have an aversion to that. When I first read Whitman, it was
the prosody that blew me away. I'm really not sure about what he's saying.
Let the idea that grass could be the long hair of graves show where it
could lead.

The doctor will see you now, Mr Whitman

Pardon me if I have sd this but I had once the experience of being told by
one after another that my poetry was really beautiful. I was on cloud 9.
Maybe 8. But it was just after I'd moved back from Cornwall to London and
my gig, a long gig, had for various reasons, been a reading of landscape
poems, as far as I'd got then. I realised after a while, and after hearing
and overhearing further comments that by and large they knew cornwall to be
beautiful, even seeing the wreckage of the industrial revolution as
mysterious blah blah, and took my poetry to be an affirmation and
endorsement of that. But I was mostly speaking of the destruction of the
language and culture; the economic vandalism and theft; colonisation etc
*as *well as the granite landscape. And if they saw that landscape in all
weathers they might not be so fond of it. (There's a poem by the Swede
Froding that runs grey grey grey grey grey)

Or there was an audience of believers which was very happy when I praised a
hymn as poetry, because *they liked what it said, but weren't happy when I
laid into another for sloppiness, because they liked what that one said
too. Q & A took us to Auden's Stop all the clocks which they liked and
thought "strong" without seeming to know what was going on. I referred to
the ascent of F6 text and they got quite ratty when I suggested that text
makes meaning and so makes meaning mutable rather than containing it.

The motivational in poetry is of course entirely possible; but it's not
likely to be anything you could extract, abstract and put on a t shirt.

What is the poet saying? is hardly the first or most important question