On Oct 30, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Ken Friedman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Following my note yesterday, I received a sad letter from a PhD graduate who permitted Lambert Academic Press (LAP) to publish his thesis. He commented that his supervisors said that this was fine – and that it is better to publish anywhere than not.
>
> This is incorrect. If no one buys the book, it is not better to publish it, and evidence suggests that LAP and Verlag Dr. Mueller (VDM) sell nearly no copies.

Having a book published is often a requirement for tenure and promotion. There are academic presses that often have press runs in the hundreds, knowing that the resultant very expensive books will be purchased by academic libraries. The bad news for that tradition is the implosion of budgets and explosion of expenses for university libraries. Libraries that might have bought all of the offerings of some publishers can no longer afford to. This calls T&P standards of many departments into question.

These are legitimate academic presses whose business plans no longer work. Lambert does not seem to be a good example of what I'm talking about. Many reviewers agree with Ken's assessment of Lambert:

http://scholarlyoa.com/2012/11/05/lambert-academic-publishing-a-must-to-avoid/
http://superbon.net/?p=2234
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDM_Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/UTLiberalArtsGradCouncil/posts/359737047451549

and many more by googling lambert academic publishing review

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program