 Many women (and GP's it seems) do not realise that if they cannot or chose not to take hormone replacement therapy there are other drugs that can be prescribed to control symptoms such as hot flushes. (e.g clonidine) These symptoms can have a devastating effect on sleep if the person has to get up in the night to change nightwear and even sheets. This leads to daytime tiredness and poor concentration.I remember  a time  when there was the latest scare about HRT and my GP decide to review me to see if I should stay on it. He asked what my symptoms had been  and I said that I had had a strong desire to go for the throat and strangle my teenage sons and only stopped from doing so because I did not have a good plan for disposing of the bodies. He looked at his official list of symptoms, told me that that was not on there, and decided to let me continue on HRT.
This is a good resource to share with women:
http://www.bupa.co.uk/individuals/health-information/directory/m/menopause
Other medicinesOther treatment options for the menopause include non-hormonal medicines, such as selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to treat hot flushes and night sweats. However, they aren’t licensed to treat the symptoms of menopause at present. Your GP may prescribe tibolone, which is beneficial for reducing hot flushes and fractures, especially in the spine. Clonidine can also be used for hot flushes during menopause, but it’s not often prescribed.If you lose your libido and have vaginal dryness, vaginal lubricants may help or your GP may suggest you take a medicine that contains the hormone testosterone.If you have changes in your moods or feel depressed, your GP may recommend counselling or antidepressant medicines
If in doubt the woman can ask to be referred to a Menopause Clinichttp://www.menopausematters.co.uk/clinicfinder.php
CheersDiane Romano-WoodwardRN  RSCPHN-OH  BSc   M Med Sc.(Occ Health)Sunny Blue Sky LimitedCompany Number  06865212

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: