Fascinating discussions (my first email list was rhizome, which Simon Biggs introduced me to around 1994 I think).

Two lists of great significance for the people using them:
http://listcultures.org/pipermail/fibreculture_listcultures.org/
- mainly Australian, the archive online only goes back to 2010 but the list was much older: perhaps others can add a note on whether the archives are stil available for the earlier period. Fibreculture went into autodestruct in the mid 2000s, mprphing into a community of blogs and a journal

and of course Sarai.net (their server is chuntering this morning so I can't check if the archives are still there)

Annick gives us a reminder that even in those early days English was not the only language online

sean