From: Curating digital art - www.crumbweb.org [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Paul Brown [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, 6 October 2013 8:20 p.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] October's theme: Art History Online, an introduction

A point on the early internet:

I got my first email account in 1984 using a 300-baud audio-coupled modem.
 I was working as a consultant to Bond Corp. in Perth (I was in London) and
was one of a team developing a large digital LED screen to hang on the side
of one of his airships.  He (his lieutenants) insisted all consultants had
email for real-time reporting - real innovation for that time.

There wasn't much to do back then - the main use for me was a fax gateway -
I could email the gateway and my message was then faxed to the recipient
who could fax back and I would get an email reply.  It was a private system
(most probably gated into Bitnet?) and pretty closed.  Some discussion of
the difference between Bitnet and Arpanet may be interesting?  I think the
WELL was on Bitnet???  Here are the three addresses of fineArt forum from
vol.1 No. 18, August 28, 1987:

        ARPANET: [log in to unmask]
        BITNET:  FINEART@umaecs
        CSNET:   [log in to unmask]

That issues also also gave a direct dial-in line and the first item is
the instructions for use:

  http://pandora.nla.gov.au/nph-wb/20000810130000/http://www.cdes.qut.edu.au/fineart_online/Backissues/Vol_1/faf118.html

Some network game stuff (MUD-like) was going on in 1977-79.  Steve Bell was
involved (we were both at the Slade at that time) and may know more.  I'm
not sure if he monitors this list.  I seem to remember the late Douglas
Adams was also involved (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) - he was doing
scripts for Dr. Who back then.

Also - has anybody brought mail art into this discussion?  It was big in
the 1960-70's and an important precursor to first fax art,
telecommunications art and  then net art.

Paul

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK April to October 2013
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====