This is becoming a fascinating conversation and I'm just butting in to mention the e-zine fineArt forum which is an online historical resource that I know many of you will know about but some may not.

Founded by Ray Lauzzana in 1987 as a bulletin board and email newsletter it became a Gopher in 1992 (sadly all lost I think) and moved to the web in 1994.  The most complete archive is held by the National Library of Australia here:

  http://pandora.nla.gov.au/tep/11009

… and the Computer Arts Society (CAS) are hoping to include a more substantial archive in their historical section that is currently being developed.

Also - I've not followed all the posts as I'm currently on the road) but has anyone talked about Carl Leoffler's ArtCom which was on the Well from the 1980's (it certainly pre-dates fineArt forum).

And also - on the fax front there the work of Art Reseaux (Karen O'Rourke) which is later but, for me at least, very interesting.

OK!  Butting out

Paul

====
Paul Brown - based in the UK April to October 2013
http://www.paul-brown.com == http://www.brown-and-son.com
UK Mobile +44 (0)794 104 8228
Skype paul-g-brown
====
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====