Hi Charlotte,

while it is surely interesting to recall individual posts I think it is
also importatt to point out that many of those posting could only do so
because they had access to the net and that in itself was nothing to be
taken for granted. A great role in that respect plaid Zamir net which
started in 1992 and which connected peace activists in former
Yugoslavian states ... there is a wikipedia entry about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZaMirNET

Another, less well known story is how Serbian hackers ensured email
connectivity for civil society at a time when Serbia was under
international embargo and didn't even have a domain name.

As I have tried to point out in the past, without much success, the
material layer of networking also matters. Arts and humanities scholars
have a tendency to ascribe too much importance to what you could call
the semantic and symbolic layer. No email from Serbia would have found
its way to the syndicate list withoute having a route to travel on.
Those routes are provided by people who also have cultural and political
ideas, so that those human-technical assemblages also have meaning, if
you so want, something that should also be considered, hwever, without
tipping over into a one-sided materialism

all best
Armin