On 10/10/13 12:48 AM, Simon Biggs wrote:

> It's possible that art critics are losing their jobs because social
and other network media allow people to form and share their own
opinions.

Yes. I recently argued that we'll see either art critics tackling this
by going meta with big data approaches, or going gonzo with
big-data-resistant approaches:

http://robmyers.org/2013/08/07/the-proletarianization-of-art-criticism/

But as with recorded music sales, the malaise in art criticism predates
social media and is as much a product of the industry's own economics as
of external technology.

Art history has been going digital since at least the late 1960s,
although it wasn't digital digital art history at that time.