Dear Colleague,

“Working together? STS, collaboration and (multi)disciplinarity”

We are writing to invite you to the first conference supported by the BSA’s Science and Technology Studies (STS) Study Group, which will be held at the University of Sheffield on the 2nd December 2013. The aim of the event is to bring together everyone with an interest in STS in the UK, regardless of their disciplinary background or affiliation. We are very keen to involve both members and non-members of BSA, as well as scholars and students at all stages of their career.

The event has two main themes. Firstly, to explore the politics and practices of collaboration, both within the social sciences, but also the work of STS scholars with STEM and other disciplines, and secondly, to reflect of the future of STS. In particular, we hope to consider how we might be able to improve co-ordination of STS research and training in the UK. Plenary speakers will include Professor Robin Williams, University of Edinburgh and Dr Sujatha Raman, University of Nottingham.

CALL FOR PAPERS: The conference will be a combination of plenary and panel discussions, as well as open paper sessions and we are keen to have papers on a wide range of topics related to the conference theme. For further details of the event, the call for papers and registration please visit the conference web pages at – http://stsconference2013.wordpress.com/

The deadline for paper abstracts is Friday 1st November and the deadline for registration is 11th November.

We look forward to seeing you in Sheffield!

Best wishes

Paul Martin, University of Sheffield

Anne Kerr, University of Leeds

Co-convenors, BSA STS Study Group