Since it has been broached by someone else, I'll chime in about Saint Louis University.  We do indeed have an excellent program in Early Christianity, although we grant doctorates in historical theology.  However, since we take a  contextualized approach (where social, instituional and cultural components are never ignored), church history is certainly a major component in a student's formation.  The conversion of non-Roman peoples is a rather broad category, both geographically and chronology.  John, you are welcome to have your student contact any of my colleagues in early Christianity (or our early medievalist, who works on conversion in the early Middle Ages) or myself. I'm the acting director of the Phd Program as the regular one is on sabbatical this semester. The relevant faculty are at http://www.slu.edu/department-of-theology-home/faculty-and-staff#Early and the program details are at http://www.slu.edu/department-of-theology-home/faculty-and-staff#Early

Another nice thing about SLU is that it has a wonderful cadre of late antique and medieval scholars. And amongst the humanities depts, we actually like talking and working with each other.  So there is plenty of opportunity for interdisciplinary work.

Sorry for the commercial. I've always been wary about promoting programs on this list, but I felt this was an exception since it was an answer to a direct question.

Jim