LESS THAN NOTHING: HEGEL AND THE SHADOW OF DIALECTICAL MATERIALISM

by Slavoj Zizek

-----------------------------------

AVAILABLE NOW IN PAPERBACK

-----------------------------------

Slavoj Zizek's masterwork on the Hegelian Legacy

For the last two centuries, Western philosophy has developed in the shadow of Hegel, an influence each new thinker struggles to escape. As a consequence, Hegel's absolute idealism has become the bogeyman of philosophy, obscuring the fact that he is the defining philosopher of the historical transition to modernity, a period with which our own times share startling similarities.

Today, as global capitalism comes apart at the seams, we are entering a new period of transition. In Less Than Nothing, the product of a career-long focus on the part of its author, Slavoj Zizek argues it is imperative we not simply return to Hegel but that we repeat and exceed his triumphs, overcoming his limitations by being even more Hegelian than the master himself. Such an approach not only enables Zizek to diagnose our present condition, but also to engage in a critical dialogue with the key strands of contemporary thought—Heidegger, Badiou, speculative realism, quantum physics, and cognitive sciences. Modernity will begin and end with Hegel.

-----------------------------------

Review by Robert Pippin:

http://www.mediationsjournal.org/articles/back-to-hegel

-----------------------------------

“A lucid rendering of modern society’s debt to Hegel.”– Publishers Weekly

“A serious attempt to reanimate or re-actualize Hegel.” – Robbert Pippin, author of Hegel's Idealism

“A gifted speaker—tumultuous, emphatic, direct—and he writes as he speaks.”– Jonathan Rée, Guardian

“The Hegel that Zizek loves is much like Zizek himself: a relentless iconoclast, a restless wordsmith, an inventive thinker with a hatred of received wisdom, an underminer of conventionally acknowledged truths. Zizek's Hegel is kind of a cosmic prankster.”– Bookforum

-----------------------------------

Paperback / ISBN: 9781781681275 / $49.95 / £25.00 / $57.00CAN / 1056 pages

Also available as an E-book

-----------------------------------

THE PERVERTS GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY is on theatrical release in the U.K now.

Cultural theorist superstar Slavoj Zizek re-teams with director Sophie Fiennes (The Pervert’s Guide to Cinema) for another wildly entertaining romp through the crossroads of cinema and philosophy. With infectious zeal and a voracious appetite for popular culture, Zizek literally goes inside some truly epochal movies, all the better to explore and expose how they reinforce prevailing ideologies. As the ideology that undergirds our cinematic fantasies is revealed, striking associations emerge: What hidden Catholic teachings lurk at the heart of The Sound of Music? What are the fascist political dimensions of Jaws? Taxi Driver, Zabriskie Point, The Searchers, The Dark Knight, John Carpenter’s They Live(“one of the forgotten masterpieces of the Hollywood Left”),Titanic, Kinder Eggs, verité news footage, Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy” and propaganda epics from Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia all inform Zizek’s stimulating, provocative and often hilarious psychoanalytic-cinematic rant.

More Information:

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1409-indefatigable-talk-machines-on-screen-the-pervert-s-guide-to-ideology-starring-slavoj-zizek-is-out-soon

U.K Trailer

http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1407-picturehouse-entertainment-and-verso-books-present-the-pervert-s-guide-tweetalong