Paddy Scannell: Third Generation (G3) Media and Communication Studies

30 October 2013, 02:00 pm

University of Westminster
Watford Road, Northwick Park (Metropolitan line, stop: Northwick Park)
Middlesex, HA1 3TP
Room A7.03

Registration per e-mail to [log in to unmask] at latest until October 27.

Abstract: In 2007 I published the first part of a trilogy: Media and Communication  (Sage UK). The second volume, Television and the Meaning of “Live”  (Polity, 2014) is due out in November/December this year. M&C is an introduction to the history of our academic field of enquiry. In my accounts it had two key generative, generational moments: the establishment of a sociology of mass communication in the USA between the mid thirties and fifties (G1), and the establishment of media/cultural studies in the UK in the seventies and eighties (G2). In part the book serves as a review of the existing literature for its successor. It serves to prepare (and clear) the ground for an introduction to a new approach (what I think of as third generation (G3) media and communication studies) = as outlined in TML. In my presentation I will discuss the relationship between the two books and offer reasons and justifications for this new way of engaging with the study of media and communication.

Bio:
Paddy Scannell joined the Department of Communication at the University of Michigan as a fully tenured professor in the fall of 2006. He worked for many years at the University of Westminster (London) where he and his colleagues established, in 1975, the first undergraduate degree program in Media Studies in the UK. He is a founding editor of Media, Culture and Society which began publication in 1979 and is now issued six times yearly. He is the author of A Social History of British Broadcasting, 1922-1939 which he wrote with David Cardiff, editor of Broadcast Talk and author of Radio, Television and Modern Life. He is currently working on a trilogy. The first volume, Media and Communication, was published in June 2007. The second volume, Television and the Meaning of 'Live.'  is about to be published. The third volume, Love and Communication, is in preparation. His research interests include broadcasting history and historiography, the analysis of talk, the phenomenology of communication and culture and communication in Africa. --------------------------------------------------------
MeCCSA mailing list