I was just at Mona* (David Walsh's Museum of Old and New Art, reviewed
at http://bit.ly/18x5wuI ) and while the museum experience was
generally ace and did a good job of joining my physical visit to
online artworks after my visit, their website doesn't provide any form
of URL, let alone a permanent, well-identified label/URI for artworks,
so it's hard for me to save or share information about the artworks I
saw.

It's ages since I've looked for this, but the web analytics for some
museum collections show searches for specific accession numbers. They
may be from print books or catalogues, or from in-gallery labels, but
certainly some people use them to find out more about specific museum
objects. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who can take a few moments
to look for accession numbers/IDs in what's left of search referrer
terms and on-site searches.

Cheers, Mia

http://openobjects.org.uk/
http://twitter.com/mia_out
I mostly use this address for list mail and don't check it daily; use
my open.ac.uk address for personal email