HSBC/British Council Mandarin Chinese Speaking Competition 2013-14

Dear All,

We are delighted to announce the launch of the HSBC/BC Mandarin Speaking Competition 2013-2014.

Motivate your students with a trip to Beijing!

Enter your students into the HSBC/British Council Mandarin Chinese speaking competition for a chance to visit the Chinese capital. There are four categories: beginner, intermediate, advanced and group performance. Students can enter regardless of their level of proficiency in Mandarin.

The closing date for entries is 11 October 2013. Read below for information on eligibility and how to apply.

The prize

The winners from each category will spend a week in Beijing. They will experience the culture by visiting historical sites and interacting with local students and British Council staff from China. The British Council, with over 20 years' experience of running cultural exchanges with China, is responsible for accompanying the group.

Who is eligible?

Secondary schools, sixth form colleges and further education colleges in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Students must be non-native speakers of Chinese.

Why should my school take part?

Participating in the competition:

·         increases students’ motivation for learning the language

·         develops vocabulary and improves pronunciation

·         raises confidence for oral examinations

·         encourages students to interact with their classmates

·         inspires students to discover more about Chinese culture.

The winner's story

‘I definitely recommend taking part,’ says Joseph Bensley, Mandarin teacher at Kingsford Community School, winner of the group performance category this year. 'Participating in the competition has benefited students across the entire school, sparking huge interest in learning the language. Students have been waiting for the new competition round for months. They hope to take part in the auditions and follow in the footsteps of this year's winners’.

Read the full interview with Joseph Bensley to find out more about his school's experience.

Next steps

Visit the competition website to enter by 11 October 2013. The website includes top tips on how to prepare a winning entry.

For enquiries please call our Customer Services team on 0161 957 7755 or email [log in to unmask].

The British Council is the United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We are a registered charity; 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland). We create international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust between them worldwide.

This message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it. The British Council accepts no liability for loss or damage caused by software viruses and you are advised to carry out a virus check on any attachments contained in this message.