I don't believe that anyone has suggested that it is a question of
"either/or"  but campaigners are warning that the service could be
moving towards a network of "super" central  libraries and hundreds of
volunteer managed "book exchanges".

While the new Library of Birmingham is to be celebrated, there must be
questions about its total cost including the often ignored huge
financing costs.  The willingness of the Council to take on these costs
does seem to conflict with its admission this week, after a FOI request,
that there is a £4 million backlog of repairs for Birmingham's network
of community libraries.

Campaigners have said that the building of a few "super" libraries must
not be allowed to distract from the devastation being caused in the
hinterland. Public Libraries News reports that more that 624 branch
libraries have been closed, threatened with closure or transfered to
volunteer groups in the past three years.  The Library Campaign have
warned that the number of libraries under threat may well exceed 1,000
by 2016.

As Tim Vansom, the consultant to ACE's " Envisioning the library of the
future"project recently warned, current policies are leading to a
growing inequality in the provision of libraries across the country.

Desmond Clarke