If I have understood him correctly, John's point is: should one go to a conference that offers potentially pragmatic answers to the question "what is best practice in volunteer-led libraries?" or should one boycott such an event on principle?  It is akin to the question whether sportspeople and their fans should go to Russia to participate in or watch sporting events despite Russia's appalling track record on homophobia and racist chanting.  History tells us such boycotts can influence governments sometimes, but not invariably.

My heart says "boycott and show that the profession will have no truck with volunteer-staffed public libraries", whilst my head says "because of the dreadful situation imposed upon us, we should try to learn best practice, so no boycott".   I am really unsure what is the best approach, and (by implication) whether CILIP should be advising members one way or t'other.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim