From: Hugh Glaser [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 28 October 2013 11:07
To: Neil Jacobs
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Open Mirror?

Going back to the original, because it is something of a new thread.

Where is the British Library in all this?
They, like other libraries, have a legal obligation to preserve publications in the UK.
And it turns out they are now doing this for digital preservation.
It may be that we should not rely on them for everything, but we should at least look at the limits of what the BL does, and relate it to any of their activity.
And I think that the digital preservation of repository content comes well inside what we all expect the BL to do.

I (through my government) am paying the BL a lot of money to do this.
Why would I also (through JISC) pay more lots (sic) of money to do it?
I never expected JISC to fund the physical collection of papers from UK academics when they were only on paper - that would have been bizarre.
If the BL isn't doing what we want, in terms of gathering publications and making them available for scholarly access, then it is the BL that should be influenced to do it properly, not pay more money to mirror(!) the activity - that is bizarre.
And if we really want to provide a mirror, then getting the data from the BL, rather than harvesting ourselves, should be the cheapest, most obvious way to do it.

JISC's limited funds can be used to add other value that is outside the remit or budget of the BL, such as "smarts"; or [perhaps better still by facilitating a culture and infrastructure so that value-added services by commercial organisations can be made economically attractive.

Sorry, I don't know if the BL are up for this level of interest yet, but they will be in the time it would take for anyone else to be able to do this.
Best
Hugh

--
Hugh