Dear colleagues,

a reminder that the conference 'How to think in images? Luigi Ghirri and photography' will be held at The British School at Rome tomorrow, Wednesday 9 October 2013, 9.30-19.30. Attendance to this event is free and open to all.

The conference programme is available on the BSR website: http://www.bsr.ac.uk/ and can be accessed also through the project website: http://www.le.ac.uk/ghirri

The conference coincides with the Ghirri retrospective exhibition at the MAXXI museum in Rome (23 April-27 October 2013): http://www.fondazionemaxxi.it/2012/12/14/luigi-ghirri-pensare-per-immagini/

This conference is the inaugural event of the interdisciplinary research project entitled ‘Viewing and writing Italian landscape. Luigi Ghirri and his legacy in photography and literature’. You are warmly invited to take part in the network and in its events, and to follow us online: http://www.le.ac.uk/ghirri

Best wishes

Marina Spunta and Jacopo Benci

(project organisers)

Dr Marina Spunta

Senior Lecturer in Italian

School of Modern Languages

University of Leicester

University Road

Leicester LE1 7RH

Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2658

Fax: +44 (0)116 252 3633

we would like to draw your attention to an interdisciplinary research project entitled ‘Viewing and writing Italian landscape. Luigi Ghirri and his legacy in photography and literature’, and to invite you to take part in the network and in its events.

The first event is a one-day conference at The British School at Rome, on Wednesday 9 October 2013, 9.30-19.30.

Attendance to this event is free and open to all.

The conference coincides with the Ghirri retrospective exhibition at the MAXXI museum in Rome (23 April-27 October 2013).

http://www.fondazionemaxxi.it/2012/12/14/luigi-ghirri-pensare-per-immagini/

Speakers include: Arturo Carlo Quintavalle, Giuliano Sergio, Laura Gasparini, Francesca Fabiani, Anna D’Elia, Ennery Taramelli, Elena Re, Vittore Fossati, Marina Spunta, Jacopo Benci.

The final programme of the workshop will be posted on our website and circulated shortly.

Please visit our website or read below for more information:

https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/modern-languages/research/ghirri

Best wishes

Marina Spunta and Jacopo Benci (project organisers)

~~~

Project title:

Viewing and writing Italian landscape. Luigi Ghirri and his legacy in photography and literature

Project leaders:

Principle Investigator: Marina Spunta (School of Modern Languages, University of Leicester); Co-Investigator: Jacopo Benci (British School at Rome).

Duration: 2 years: 1/9/2013 – 31/8/2015

Funded by: The British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Small Research Grants

Description of the project

This research project has two interlinked aims.

·         The first aim is to broaden the study of the work of Italian photographer Luigi Ghirri (1943-1992).

In the Seventies and Eighties Ghirri initiated an important theoretical and practical renewal of photography as an art form. His innovative vision gave a new aesthetic identity to everyday places and greatly contributed to positing landscape at the core of the artistic practice and theoretical debates in Italy, and as the focus of a growing number of interdisciplinary and collaborative projects.

·         The second objective is twofold:

o   Explore Ghirri’s legacy in contemporary photography, literature and other disciplines (e.g. geography, aesthetics) and practices (e.g. art, moving image, architecture).

o   Examine further the intersection among photography, narrative writing and the investigation of space, place, and landscape both in Italy and outside.

Our project is interdisciplinary in that it aims to bring together scholars and practitioners working in different fields and from different theoretical approaches on a wide range of questions relating to space, place and landscape, photography/visual culture and literature/writing.

Our research network seeks to move towards bridging the gap that often divides Italian and British/Irish/Anglophone artistic practice and theoretical debates, and to offer new opportunities of dialogue among artists, scholars and policy-makers working within and outside of Italy/the British Islands.

In order to meet these aims we are going to:

·         Set up an interdisciplinary research network that will foster dialogue among Italian and British/Irish/Anglophone photographers/artists, writers, scholars, curators, and policy-makers working in different fields (e.g. Cultural Studies, Italian Studies, History of Photography, Film and Media Studies, History of Art, Architecture and Urbanism, Geography, Philosophy, Aesthetics, Environmental Studies, Contemporary History, Politics, etc.).

·         Establish an online resource which will provide an essential tool for individuals, groups and institutions interested in photography/visual arts, literature/writing, and/or landscape and environmental studies (including scholars, practitioners, writers, curators, policy-makers) and which will offer a further platform for discussion.

·         Organize a series of events aimed at bringing together practitioners and scholars to discuss the relevance and legacy of Ghirri’s work and to consider the intersections and mutual influence between photography and literature in the representation and imagination of space and landscape.

The project events include two conferences and one conference panel:

1.      9 October 2013, Rome: a one-day conference on Luigi Ghirri’s work, at the British School at Rome.

Attendance to this event is free and open to all.

The conference coincides with the Ghirri retrospective exhibition at the MAXXI museum in Rome (23 April-27 October 2013).

http://www.fondazionemaxxi.it/2012/12/14/luigi-ghirri-pensare-per-immagini/

2.      September 2014 (date to be finalised), Leicester (UK): a two-day conference at the University of Leicester on:

Viewing and writing (Italian) landscape. Luigi Ghirri and his legacies

3.      Summer 2015, Society for Italian Studies (SIS) conference, UK – date and place to be confirmed: a conference panel to present the project’s preliminary results and to promote the network further.

How you can get involved:

·         Join our research network by filling in the form on the website.

·         Attend one or more of our conferences (in Rome, in Leicester, or the panel at the SIS conference).

·         Please forward this link to those you think might be interested in joining this project.

·         Please spread the word about the project with colleagues, friends, students, etc.

·         You are welcome to get in touch if you have queries or suggestions:

Marina Spunta: [log in to unmask]; Jacopo Benci: [log in to unmask]

Please visit our website: https://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/modern-languages/research/ghirri

to find out more information about our project and our conferences, and to join the research project.

Dr Marina Spunta

Senior Lecturer in Italian

School of Modern Languages

University of Leicester

University Road

Leicester LE1 7RH

Tel: +44 (0)116 252 2658

Fax: +44 (0)116 252 3633

email: [log in to unmask]

********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: subscribe italian-studies YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: unsubscribe italian-studies to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/italian-studies