In the absence of a statutory mandate for HERs, the combination of the benchmarks with the NPPF is a useful alternative. The NPPF requires planning authorities to provide access to a HER, and the benchmarks broadly define what that should mean. Obviously not all HERs will meet all the benchmarks, but as an aspirational statement of the services we aim to provide they are very helpful.

As I said above, to my mind they are a quick and easy way of assessing what services we already provide and what we should be aspiring towards. I like the way they are set up at the moment, as they are loose enough to fit into any structure but still definite enough to act as a common standard.

With increasing variation in software packages used from one authority to the next “benchmark compliance” can be useful when putting services out to tender as well.

We don’t, at least not formally, although I occasionally go down the list with a highlighter…

But they are very useful for forward planning: I can set a goal of meeting a particular stage 2 benchmark (for example, we are in the process of digitising our grey literature archive) and use the fact that it IS a service benchmark to mug the Finance Department for their small change.

They don’t directly. But they do provide a way to identify shortcomings and prioritise resources to improving data quality where it falls short. That doesn’t just mean financial resources either – it can mean help from commercial units to improve on the data they have been processing, volunteer time, or liaison with higher education institutions (one of the local universities around here has agreed to give their archaeology students HER enhancements to do as a coursework exercise!)

Which reminds me – we’re due an audit.

I know we don’t – although we hit a lot more of them now than we did when I started after more than 6 months with no HER officer in post! We’ve even started hitting some of the stage 2 benchmarks. But there are some of the stage 1 benchmarks that I can’t see us achieving any time soon (the requirement for a full time HER Officer is something of a non-starter for a small unitary authority in the current economic climate, even if I do keep dropping hints about extra hours…)

Rod Millard

Historic Environment Record Officer

Planning and Transport Development

Bath and North East Somerset Council

PO Box 5006

Bath BA1 1JG

Tel: 01225 477653

Fax: 01225 477663

Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/tourism-and-heritage/archaeology

Office Hours: Tuesday to Thursday, 10:00 am – 4:30 pm

Making Bath & North East Somerset an even better place to live, work and visit.

The contents of this email message, and any attachments, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The message does not necessarily express the views of Bath & North East Somerset Council and should be considered personal unless there is a specific statement to the contrary.

If you have received this email in error you may not take any action based on it, nor should you copy or show this to anyone; please reply to it and highlight the error to the sender, then delete the message from your system.

The provision of links to Web sites which are not part of the Bath & North East Somerset Council domain are provided for convenient information sharing purposes. The Council is not responsible for the reliability of these links, or the information provided, and it is not intended to imply endorsement of the site.

Subscribe to Inform - the free weekly e-newsletter from Bath & North East Somerset Council
Click http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/inform3

Making Bath & North East Somerset an even better place to Live, Work and Visit.