In rely to Chris Wardle's comments I accept that I am looking for better quality standards than most HERs can afford but that doesn't stop them being something to aspire to and to develop methodologies to address.  The problems I am talking about are to do with actual errors in the NGRs, not issues to do with linears, extensive sites/complexes, ill-defined records from antiquarian sources etc etc

If we want the whole archaeological community and well beyond to support HERS they have to be worth having and fighting for.  I have hung my head in shame on a couple of occasions recently when our client had looked at the raw data from an HER before we had cleaned it up and I realised what they had seen.

Obviously not all HERs are the same and some will be shining examples but in order for global support they all have to be reaching certain standards.

----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Wardle
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:36 AM
  Subject: Re: B&A2013 - Welcome to the HER Benchmark and Audit Discussion

  As it stands benchmarking is there to try to ensure that all HERs meet certain minimum standards across.

  -the bare minimum of the data on each record (not even requiring a description!)

  -a minimum level of access

  -a minimum level of staffing

  -that they be digital records linked to a GIS.

  It was and is a worthwhile exercise. For instance without it the Heritage Gateway would not have been possible, but the principal aim, to make HERs a statutory service has never been achieved The closed we have some is the statement in the NPPF that every LPA should have or have access to an HER.

  They were largely the work of Stewart Bryant in the early 2000s, based on the work David Baker carried out in the 1990s.  There were more 'aspirational' level 2 benchmarks, but in these days of salami sliced budgets few HERs have aspirations rising much above survival .

  In this context Jenny's comments are not very helpful. Accuracy of things like NGRs is very difficult to measure and hence near impossible to include specific requirements in a benchmark: The level of accuracy that would be vital for a market cross would be unachievable for a reported antiquarian find.  If she has specific complaints about the accuracy of data from specific HER/s she ought to take them up with that/those HER.

  For my part the glaring omission in the current benchmarks is a standard level of data for a GIS.