Hi,

So, I was looking into Rucio recently for other reasons, and did
notice that the hashing directory algorithm looked like creating a
*lot* of metadata as directories. I assumed that ATLAS would clean up
the directory trees on file removal though (which as Alastair notes,
they apparently don't).
For DPM, the cns_db tables which handle file metadata have good
indices, though, so the existence of tons of empty multiply recursed
directory paths shouldn't actually significantly harm performance
(although it will of course contribute to database size on SE head
nodes).

Sam